Leave No Room for Error in Your Patent Application
Research has shown that 98% of patents issued by the USPTO contain at least one mistake. These mistakes range from innocuous typos to errors that can impair a patent’s core claims, thus affecting its enforceability and commercial viability. Errors like this are why the proofreading of patent drafts has become an indispensable step in modern patent prosecution.
The patent proofreading process checks every aspect of the specification, including:
- Grammar – All language in a patent must be clear and straightforward, with no room for ambiguity.
- Technical adherence – A patent must comply with all prescribed technical specifications.
- Enablement – A patent must fulfil the sufficiency of disclosure or enablement requirement; that is, it must disclose sufficient detail for a person having ordinary skill in the art (PHOSITA) to carry out the invention claimed by the patent.
- Claim structure and scope – A patent must clearly and precisely define the extent of protection claimed by the invention. It must have sufficient support for the claim, no ambiguous and/or missing antecedent references, and no indefinite claims. This is arguably the most important aspect of the specification.
Legal Advantage LLC follows a methodical, eight-step approach to patent proofreading. Our over 10 years of work with top Am Law firms and Fortune 500 companies has allowed us to develop proofreading best practices that ensure accuracy and mitigate risk to our clients. These include:
- Highly trained proofreading experts with thorough techno-legal knowledge
- A multi-layer quality assurance process that checks the claim set and all prior art references, disclosure statements, inventor and title information, continuity and bibliographic information, drawings, examiner amendments, etc.
- A detailed proofreading report in an easy-to-use, customizable layout
Should our proofreaders find an error or errors that need to be flagged, we will prepare a ready-to-submit Certificate of Correction (CoC) that meets USPTO guidelines.
For expert legal proofreading services in NY, CA, DC, and other major locations in the US and Canada, get in touch with Legal Advantage LLC. Request a free quote today at (301) 637-6180 or through our online contact form.