Virtual Reality is a technology used to create an artificial environment to interact with virtual objects. This artificial environment is presented in such a way that it looks and feels like a 3D world. A virtual environment is animated and can be represented as a real world. Software is the most crucial element used for virtual reality to provide real-world experience. It is used in many applications like gaming and entertainment, training and education, healthcare and military, etc. To experience a virtual reality scene or environment, a user requires a head-mounted display (HMD) and unique types of gloves to provide the input.
TYPES OF VIRTUAL REALITY
There are three primary kinds of virtual reality utilized today to interact with a virtual object around us, including non-immersive, semi-immersive, and fully-immersive.
- Fully immersive simulations
This kind of virtual reality engages users completely in the virtual world. Means, users can sense, smell, hear, and interact with objects ultimately. It is usually utilized for gaming.
- Semi-immersive simulations
In this kind of virtual reality, some of the devices are physically present to users and other devices, and they have to interact virtually. It finds applications in educational and training purposes.
- Non-immersive simulations
The typical computer game can be viewed as a non-immersive simulation.
- Visualization – Users can experience the best quality of visualization by wearing a headset and can create a realistic world.
- Education – By using virtual reality, students can interact easily with teachers for learning. Virtual reality has made watching more enjoyable than reading. Instead of reading about things, students can see the things they are learning about.
- Healthcare – Pain relief is one of the many wondrous benefits of virtual reality in medicine. Many of the doctors and nurses have been offering their patients to wear VR headsets to help patients in reducing pain.
- Gaming — Virtual Reality acted as a game-changer in the gaming industry and improved user experience. With VR equipment and accessories, the user can move around, view, and interact with the objects within the game.
- 5G to improve the speed of VR:
The release of the 5G network is expected to improve users’ VR experience, with quicker download speeds, shorter delays on video content, and increased connectivity to boost the VR experience.
- Virtual humans to drive the utilization of VR in social collaborations:
VR is set to become part of our everyday lives as we create virtual humans to give us company – although expressions are expected to be challenging to create in a virtual environment, so we might still want physical company.
- The Collaboration will occur through handheld devices:
The handheld device is the primary way users collaborate with VR as the controller gives users a physical feel and experience.
- VR headrests will look like sunglasses:
Virtual reality headsets get thin down as users see headsets as similar size and style to sunglasses.
- Replace high street shopping:
People make all of their purchases from home, trying on clothes in virtual reality, and getting suggestions from Artificial intelligence shop assistants.
TOP 10 ASSIGNEES PATENT FILINGS
As we can see from below that Samsung, Sony and Microsoft are leading the way in filing the patents in VR closely followed by Magic Leap, Seiko Epson, LG Electronics, Google, Canon, Intel, and Qualcomm Inc.
Most of the patents in VR are focused on object pose determination, camera calibration, human interaction, head-mounted display, optical features, information/image processing, head tracking and eye-tracking input arrangements, eyeglasses, gesture-based interaction, image capturing devices.
The United States has the highest number of patent filings in the virtual reality domain, followed by China, WIPO, and Europe.
PATENT PUBLISHING TRENDS IN VIRTUAL REALITY
As we can observe from the below graph, the number of patents published each year is increasing at an exponential rate, and we can expect the same in the future going by the trend.
Virtual Reality, 3-dimensional, simulation, artificial environment, patent, virtual reality patents, virtual reality design patent, patent on virtual reality